Monday, August 22, 2011
22 Aug by nagazwife
22 Aug, a photo by nagazwife on Flickr.
Today was our "official" day of school. Emmett woke up this morning saying, "Am I doing school today?" LOL

We took it easy this morning and eased into things. Our curricula includes:
  • All About Spelling, which is in a spelling program (duh!) based on Orton-Gillingham phonics.

  • Both RightStart Mathematics and Miquon Math. These are both Asian-style whole-parts math.

  • And last, but CERTAINLY not least, Five in a Row. FIAR is a set of unit studies based around good literature. You may see me discuss a book we are "rowing." That simply means it is the book that we are studying for whatever length of time I determine.

If you want to read more about our school stuff, you can visit our school blog...

I purposefully held back AAS and more formal math lessons until today so we could have a few new things on our first day. Still, it took us a total of about 40 minutes to complete everything...and that was including some breaks, a few stories and a snack.

To celebrate our NOT going to school, Daddy took the day off and we went to see the Smurf movie this afternoon. It was a lot of fun. Ellie was a bit of a handful but eventually fell asleep. There was a part in the movie where the Smurf's defeat the bad wizard with his own wand and Emmett cracked up as Gargamel shot across the screen. I was across the theater (with Ellie) and I could still hear him. LOL

This week we are filling out some basic about-me type pages for school. I'm hoping to keep them and add to them at the start of each year. So on the one Abby did today, she drew herself. Then she drew me next to her. And then she said, "And this is us doing school. This is our house... and then she drew a heart and said, "This is the love in our home." Awww!

I just can't believe we have a kindergartener! In her father's blessing for the new school year, she was blessed with patience and understanding and the ability to employ her quick mind and the intelligence her father in heaven gave her. After Dan was finished with Abby, Emmett jumped and said, "It's my turn too, right?" Of course, little dude. He was blessed with patience. I think, tonight, I'll have Dan give ME a blessing too...since I am the teacher after all.

And, of course, because you can't really homeschool just one child...here are the rest of the kids:

IMG_6223

IMG_6229

IMG_6239

And one last one of the kindergartener:


IMG_6216

1 comments:

3 boys & 1 mom said...

I have read a lot of great things about FIAR and I think we'll be using it too.. one day. Lol. But seriously you need to tell Abby to quit growing! I can't believe she's a kindergartener! She looks so big too. *tear*